Shooting professionally since 1991, William Morton has specialized in commercial and corporate photography for the last 9 years. Based in north Dallas, Morton Visuals offers professional business headshots in our studio or in the convenience of your own offices.
We want to ensure that you look your very best for your headshot session. To that end, we consulted with professional Makeup Artist Mary Erickson. Since Mary is a 30-year veteran in the world of commercial print and advertising, she has a lot of experience in this field. Recently retired, she now focuses on her highly successful professional makeup store. She lists her recommended tips below. (The photographer’s comments are added in italics.)
- Bring shirts with a collar as well as different necklines.
- Women should bring at least 6 different tops to choose from. Men should bring several (3-4) different shirts, clean and ironed.
- No sleeveless shirts for headshots.
- No solid white (unless you’re covering it with a jacket or sports coat). If you’re very light-skinned you may want to avoid solid black.
- Solid colors are ideal; stay away from busy patterns and busy prints.
- Bring a lint brush or lint roller, since fuzz will show on dark colors.
- Make sure your clothes are pressed and clean. Very few photographers have irons or extra time. Photo retouching on soiled or wrinkled clothes will usually cost extra. Bring your wardrobe to the shoot on hangers if possible.
- Stay away from clothes with big buttons or ornaments that shine and compete for attention.
- If you wear earrings they should be small. Keep jewelry at a minimum, because anything flashy will distract from you.
- Men should be clean-shaven, and a recent haircut is recommended.
- We can also recommend a professional Makeup Artist to ensure that your makeup is flawless.
Whether your headshots are for your social media presence or your professional resume, present your very best image to your prospective clients or employers.
If you have any questions, please feel free to comment below.
This blog has been verified by Rise: R242f2ed06020ca5a82f6425464ae2d31